Saturday, June 12, 2010

3rd times a charm?

Earlier this week Bekah and I's relaxed night was interrupted by a man slamming on our front door demanding our neighbor pay him money. He kept ringing our doorbell and yelling several four letter words until I explained to him on the intercom that he had the wrong apartment which only meant that he started ringing the doorbell of our neighbor while he was still slamming the front door.
I then left my apartment to knock on our neighbor's door after he was not answering his phone as I had heard activity upstairs. No one answered my knocks and meanwhile the man kept kicking and yelling as I realized that I locked myself out of our apartment and could hear Titus crying while Bekah (thinking I was caring for Titus) was drying her hair not hearing anything.
Bekah then heard me knocking and let me in as the man left (temporarily as people from the restaurant came outside) as we calmed Titus down. The man did come back in which he did break the door (which means our neighbors' "associates" have broken our door 3 times in the last year), but left because people outside the restaurant came outside again (much quicker than before) to see what the commotion was.
Our landlord was called who she then called the police (4 showed up which means they must really like the food downstairs) who asked everyone questions including one of the upstairs neighbor who was not the one who the guy was out to get, but still knew who the guy was and heard me knocking on his door.
The cops collected the information including the eyewitness from an employee who actually saw the man kick the door in and set out to find the guy. Meanwhile our landlord made the executive decision to kick out our neighbors who are looking for a new place as she kept apologizing to us for swearing in front of Titus.
Speaking of Titus, it was amazing to see his reaction. I am convinced that babies as young as 3.5 months are amazingly perceptive. He was very fussy throughout the entire event as he could tell that Bekah and I were shook up. Even after everyone had left and we were trying to get our pulse down as we were still recovering from the crazy situation he continued to be fussy until we eventually calmed down. Amazing to see how he seemingly could pick up our distress.
Fast forwards to a few days later...Bekah and I were sitting on our porch and noted that a young man was casually walking up and down the street just checking to see if anyone had left their doors unlocked which made us both realize where our loose change had disappeared to a week or so ago.
It is times like this that you really realize how you really are not in control of anything. At any minute something can happen to change your life forever. We are not the captains of our ship, we may have some control of the steering wheel, but we have no influence on the oceans that we are traveling on.
While this is sobering I am thankful for the promises we have in God's Word when He says that He will never leave nor forsake us allowing Bekah and I to sleep soundly.

1 comment:

  1. from a blog follower in oregon, your writings speak to me thru the grace and wisdom from above. Thank you and little Titus is a blessing to all of us too!!

    ReplyDelete