Sunday, December 20, 2009

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays


Recently there was an article in the Trib where the author made the argument that Christians were being unrealistic about their insistence of other saying and using Christmas in their vocabulary, advertisements, etc. instead of Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings. The author then went on to point out how Christians "hijacked" Christmas time by converting it into their holiday as originally it was a nonChristian celebration.
This article was followed up by me receiving an email about stores that were "naughty or nice" with regards to their use of the word Christmas and therefore as a Christian I should adjust my shopping based on their use of the word Christmas. Further the email sent me to a link in which I could send an email to various companies expressing my frustration(s) of their lack of the word Christmas and inform them that I would not be shopping at their store unless they use the word Christmas. The link also listed several business that started using Christmas in their advertisement after several emails were sent demanding changes in the company's advertisement.
Now I am all about using the word Christmas as I have noticed the "politically correctness" of our society creeping into everything as a vast majority of my co-workers are either Jewish or agnostic and therefore everyone uses Happy Holiday because no one really "celebrates" Christmas, but I am not sure of this movement to "force" people to use Christmas by threatening them with emails stating that we will boycott their store. It just seems that this technique means well, but goes about it the wrong way as they are probably not using the word Christmas in hopes of increasing their income by being more conscious of the buyer and therefore we are trying to beat them at their own game?
I really don't have a solution to "putting Christ into Christmas" or reminding people who is the "real reason for the season" as I always put Christmas in my Christmas letter or Christmas card (notice how I just identified the Christmas letter and card?) and will wish those of a Christian background "A Merry Christmas," but what about my coworkers and those businesses that do not use the word Christmas? How would or should I respond to someone who wished me a Happy Hanukkah?
I guess the whole point of this blog is that as Christian I celebrate the Christ of Christmas and would invite everyone to join me in this celebration of a truly miraculous story, but I would rather work all year round to spread the gospel instead of sending out demanding emails just around Christmas time.
Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment