Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Years resolution 2010

Last year at this time I set forth to not read a new book in the year 2009 until I had finished all the books that I had started, but not finished. This turned out to be one of the toughest resolutions I have ever stuck with because there are so many new and wonderful books that come out every year that I ended up buying, but not reading, and while plodding through some of the books I realized why I never finished them in the first place.
Below is my list and how I did on the books. All things considered I finished a good chunk of the books, but I had a lot of distractions as every month I would get a new book from one of my Attending Doctors to read and complete a review allowing me to be able to keep the book. I debated about this and my resolution, but rationalized it by the fact that reading the books were for work, not pleasure and it was helping my resume for applying for a job.
Yea I know it was a shady thing to do...

So this year?
I resolve to:
1) Floss nightly
2) Stretch every time before and after I exercise (I am getting old)
3) Run at least one 1/2 marathon
4) Change at least one diaper (this one should not be hard)
5) Not faint when I become a father
6) Continue to bike to work as much as possible
7) Try to finish the books below

Happy New Year of 2010!


List of books:
The Life of Eric Liddle: Catherine Swift: done
Desires in Conflict: Joe Dallas: did not touch
KJV Apocrypha: still reading
Celebrating the Wrath of God: Jim McGuiggan: done
Out of the Silent Planet: CS Lewis: done
Perelandra: CS Lewis: done
That Hideous Strength: CS Lewis: did not touch
The Exemplary Husband: Stuart Scott: did not touch
The Power of a Praying Husband: Stormie Omartian: did not touch
Tramp for the Lord: Corrie Ten Boom: done
Jewish Cultures and Customs: Steve Herzig: done
Foundational Faith: John Koessler: still reading
Sharing Your Faith with a Hindu: Madasamy Thirumalai: did not touch
Happiness is a Choice: Frank Minirth and Paul Meier: done
Every Living Thing: James Herroit: done
The Diary of a Young Girl: Anne Frank: done
Life for Every Married Couple: Ed Wheat: done
Systematic Theology: Wayne Grudem: still reading
Gang Leader for a Day: Sudhir Venkatesh: done
Death by Love: Mark Driscoll: done
The Autobiography of Hudson Taylor: Hudsdon Taylor: done
The Life of Samuel Morris: Lindley Baldwin: done
The Life of Mary Slessor: Basil Miller: done
The Old Testament: Mark Driscoll: done
The New Testament: Mark Driscoll: done
The Joy of Fearing God: Jerry Bridges: did not touch
The Man who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales: Oliver Sacks: done
Tozer on the Holy Spirit: AW Tozer: still reading
The Two Kinds of Decay: Sarah Manguso: done
My Utmost for His Highest: Oswald Chambers: done
Unceasing Worship: Harold Best: still reading
Help Yourself: Dave Pelzer: done
That Incredible Christian: AW Tozer: still reading
To End All Wars: Ernest Gordon: done
Make My Life a Prayer: Keith Green: done
Rags of My Soul: T. Byram Karasu: done
Heinz Kohut and the Psychology of Self: Allen Siegel: still reading
Mnemonics and More for Psychiatry: David Robinson: still reading
Psychoanalytic Case Formulation: Nancy McWilliams: still reading
Psychoanalytic Diagnosis: Nancy McWilliams: still reading
Principles and Practice of Psychopharmacology: Phillip Janicak: still reading
The Screwtape Letters: CS Lewis: done
Serial Killers: Joel Norris: still reading
The Complete Book of Running: James Fixx: done
Integrating Psychotherapy and Pharmacology Beitman: still reading
Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry Volume I and II: Kaplan and Sadock: still reading
House Officer Series: Neurology: Howard Weiner: still reading
Introduction to Supportive Psychotherapy: Winston: still reading
Motivational Interviewing: Bezalel Dantz: still reading
Telling Yourself the Truth: William Backus: done
Clinical Manual for Diagnosis and Treatment of Psychotic Depression: Anthony Rothschild: done
Concise Guide to Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: Mina Dulcan: still reading
Quick Reference to the Diagnostic Criteria from DSM-IV-TR: APA: still reading
The Merk Manual: still reading
Desiring God: John Piper: still reading

4 comments:

  1. That list had to take awhile to write! What do you think of Grudem's Systematic Theology so far? I'm thinking about reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luke,
    It is one of the books that you have to take in sections because it is so dense, but so very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, your New Year's Resolutions crack me up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very impressed with how few "did not touch" books are on your list. Great job!

    ReplyDelete