Saturday, April 17, 2010

Karma

The other day I was out on our fire escape that is illegally turned into a deck grilling some hamburgers over charcoal grill holding my son and teaching him how to make a perfect burger with a dash of Lawery's salt, pepper, and oregano. Then after it is grilled you put an onion, lettuce, ketchup, and mustard and enjoy...sorry I got off topic there.
Anyways as I grilled a group of very intoxicated men were waiting outside the restaurant we live above were waiting for their seats after a Cubs game (now you know why they were drunk!) As they made inappropriate comments to passing women one of the guys really crossed the line on one of his comments resulting in his friend making a comment about how he was "really messing up his karma" and shortly afterwards the really inappropriate comment guy randomly missed his footing and tried to catch his balance resulting in him throwing his body towards the street, off the curb, and right to his rear rolling backwards doing a somersault of sorts.
It was really funny. I mean, really really funny. He and his friends were almost dying of laughter as he collected his broken pride and walked back to the street as more karma comments were coming from his friends.
Then I started thinking about Karma, which is defined as "the effects of a person's actions that determine his destiny in his next incarnation."
U2's front man Bono (who like Cher and Madonna have no last name) in an interview mad a great comparision of Karma and Grace when he said: "You see, at the center of all religions is the idea of Karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, or in physics—in physical laws—every action is met by an equal or an opposite one. It's clear to me that Karma is at the very heart of the universe. I'm absolutely sure of it. And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that "as you reap, so you will sow" stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I've done a lot of stupid stuff."

I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment