Sunday, January 3, 2010

stuff





Its cold in Chicago leading me to spend as many hibernation days in my apartment thankful for the free radiator heat making all of its clicking and hissing sounds as it emits heat. So here is random thoughts and happenings for the last few weeks:
1) I finished my first shift as a moonlighter (working without supervision) to which I was very freaked out, but comforted as I realized how faithful God is as I felt the same nervousness when starting undergrad, med school, residency, and all that entailed those stages. The shift went well...now onto more shifts and raising a child?!
2) On my way home the other day some med students were complaining about their Psych rotation and I could not stop myself from telling them that I was a Psych resident. You should have seen them backpedal trying to explain "what they really meant."
3) Later on the same trip home two drunk guys were making fun of their balding friend who was next to me on the train. They asked me what I thought about his hair (they were really drunk) and I struck up a conversation and found out that he was also a med student leading him to asking me for advice the rest of the way home. Hopefully he only remembers the good stuff I told him.
4) I ran the 5K on New Years Day, but decided to skip out on the polar bear plunging opting instead for a warm bowl of chilly at a local restaurant. While on paper this seems like a wiser decision, still I wonder if I made the right decision.
5) I taught Sunday School today, teaching middle and high schoolers can be tough as you know that they know the answer to your question even thought they just shrug their shoulders and avoid eye contact.
6) Yesterday I started and finished the book "The Soloist: A Lost Dream, an Unlikely Friendship, and the Redemptive Power of Music," which is about a journalist who befriends a very talented musician who struggles with mental illness leaving him on skid row playing a 2-stringed violin. A great book as I love getting wrapped up into a book and not being able to put it down.
7) Over the holiday season we enjoyed being with family and friends, but yesterday we took down all of our decorations and were amazed to see how many needles can fall off of a Christmas tree.

Happy 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment