Friday, January 8, 2010

simplicity

The other day while I was riding the train to work I noticed that in my car someone had written all over one of the walls warning people not to get the H1N1 vaccine as they reported that the vaccine would either "sterelize" or "steralize" you with a web address for more information.
That is right, "sterelize" or "steralize" not sterilize.
While this is not a blog about the controversy of vaccines, but I will argue that if you are going to make this argument about the H1N1 vaccine and want to look somewhat legit you should make sure you spell the word "sterilize" correctly as you use a magic marker to write over advertisements for apartments and restaurants.
They say that most of communication is nonverbal and I agree as people don't care what you say unless they trust you as a credible person to be speaking in the first place as our society places a large value on those letters that come after your name: PhD, MS, MD, JD, DVM, BA etc.
But extending this further I find that a lot people want nothing to do with Jesus because of this or that person that claims to be following Him. They associate Christians with politicians, tv preachers asking for money, or the news articles of clergy members being caught literally with their pants down...just as affective as spelling sterilize incorrectly.
Maybe it is because I just finished the book "Blue Like Jazz" (which is an interesting read), which has challenged me of the simplicity of Jesus' message:
1) Love the Lord and His Word
2) Love others

No comments:

Post a Comment