Tuesday, January 26, 2010

stuff


i


A lot has happened in 2010 already. Was Christmas already over 1 month ago?

Bekah continues to get closer and closer to having the baby...our baby room is all ready to go and she is getting to the point that she is expressing her hopes to have the baby soon as she deals with swollen ankles, back pain, and a baby that can really throw some punches in there.
Yea, I am glad to be a dude.

Speaking of babies, my new nephew Garrison Wayne was born January 25th (see 1st and 4th pictures) with an impressive head of hair that is already showing some great mohawk-like style. Garrison makes me an uncle of 10, which I love in my pursuit to be "that crazy uncle" who is always chasing his nephews and nieces around...even though some of them are getting so big those piggy-back rides are getting a little tough.

We enjoyed our weekend get-a-way to the Milwaukee area staying at a bed and breakfast (pic 2), finding some great independent coffee shops (pic 3) as I became hooked on The Lord of the Rings book. Much better than the movie.
At the bed and breakfast the owner was a former Methodist minister who left the ministry to become a psychotherapist with books in his library with titles of "Marx and the Bible" and "Radical Feminism in the Bible." Interesting titles as I would have loved to visit with him about his experiences and the choice of his books, but we kept things "small talk" at the breakfast table and never went deep.
I feel often that I would love to "go deep" with people about there thoughts of God, but people seem to hold fast to the "rule" that we are not to talk about politics or religion as they are so charged, which reminds me of the importance of praying for opportunities to visit with people and also boldness to act on them.

Kansas State University basketball team beat the #1 team in the country and then lost to a team that was not ranked at all.

Lately I have been reading the book "Counterfeit Gods" by Timothy Keller. Fascinating book that points out the foolishness of finding our satisfaction in anything else but God as he exposes the unfulfillment in money, power, politics, and materialism. As CS Lewis said it, we are a machine that runs on God.

The other day I asked a friend what he thought about raising a child in today's society with all of its troubles and his answer was that every generation asked the same question as they became ready for parenthood. I found strange comfort in that.

People always ask me what I think about being a dad. To be honest, I don't know, but I think it is like getting married. You just have to trust the Lord and jump in with all of your might.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Aaron, Steve here. Couldn't help but point out an association at the end of your entry. Keller points out that we must find our satisfaction in God, very Piper-esque. But what is the most excellent way to attain to this satisfaction? You implicitly answered it by talking about your anticipation of fatherhood. The only way the Gospel comes alive is to know God as our Father. We are saved by Jesus Christ to know the Father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,
    I agree with your statement, I hope that the random order does not lead to a conclusion that satisfaction is found specifically in fatherhood, rather that at this point we feel that God is leading us to raise a family and thus having children is obeying the Lord which is the true satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete