Wednesday, February 10, 2010

men and Super Bowl commericals



Last Sunday I felt that several commercials were very focused on men. First there was the Dodge Charger Ad called "Man's Last Stand" which goes on to say:
I will get up and walk the dog at 6:20AM.
I will eat some fruit as part of my breakfast.
I will shave, clean the sink after I shave.
I will be at work at 8:00AM.
I will sit through two hour meetings.
I will say yes, when you want me to say yes.
I will be quiet when you don’t want me to say no.
I will take your call and listen to your opinion of my friends.
I will listen to your friends opinions of my friends.
I will be civil to your mother.
I will put the seat down.
I will separate the recycling.
I will carry your lip-balm.
I will watch your vampire tv shows, with you.
I will take my socks off before getting into bed.
I will put my underwear in the basket.
And because I do this. I will drive the car, I want to drive.
Charger, Man’s Last Stand.

Other commercials included Docker's theme of men without pants showing several men marching around in their underwear, two skinny men in sumo gear frantically trying to find how to surrender to a sumo wrestler on their cell phones, Snickers showing old female actresses getting tackled in a football pick-up game until they eat Snickers and turn into men again, FLO TV's commercial had a narrator introduced a character whose "girlfriend has removed his spine, making him incapable of watching the game." The ad ended with a very clear message to men: "change out of that skirt."

While these commercials were not on there were Go Daddy commercials inviting men to "see more" of the stripping Go Daddy girls, a Bridge Stone tire commerical where the man ditched his wife when confronted with danger, Megan Fox in a bathtub what would happen if she sent her picture out via her phone resulting in men all over the world staring at their phone causing accidents, or men ignoring all of the doom of being stuck on a deserted island (with a working radio) or a comet hurling down at the earth in exchange for a good time with Bud Light.

These commercials basically portrayed men as wimps or shallow guys satisfied with beer and naked women. Is this an accurate portrayal of today's males?

What does it take to "be a real man?" Do you need to be like Russel Crowe or Leonardo DiCaprio in the movie previews (also shown during the Super Bowl) in which they risk their lives for the good of others, Brett Favre still playing football at age 50, or the little boy defending his mother from the potential new boyfriend?

What about offering their seat on the public transportation to a pregnant woman? It is not uncommon for several sitting guys look at Bekah (who is obviously pregnant) on the train and just go on reading or playing on their phone while she stands there.
Why are urban cities full of young mothers raising their children by themselves?
Why are all the police who are to protect us portrayed as overweight men eating donuts?
What is going on with male politicians literally caught with their pants down or lying?

I could go on and on as perhaps I am writing this as I think about raising a child and what that entails as far as being a father, but I am also concerned that these commercials portray men today who are not stepping up to defend what is right, but rather living in their own little world of beer, football, and Go Daddy Girls which just makes them boys that can shave.

2 comments:

  1. great post Aaron...I couldn't agree more. It's frustrating that men are so often put down and the bar is set so low. I believe men want to be the courageous men they are supposed to be but they so often are not given the chance...I'm sorry to say that I think we women are often to blame. We are too quick to take charge instead of stepping back and letting the men be men.

    It makes me especially thankful for the men in my life...that includes you Aaron!

    Love ya,
    bek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaron, your poignant post highlights the state of fatherlessness in our world and country. My last response to your previous post was meant to totally support your step into fatherhood without apology for it is in that role that you become more like Him. Note how the Apostle Paul addressed Timothy as his son, and how John, the disciple whom Christ loved, addresses his readers as his children. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob! Amen.

    ReplyDelete